At 10:14 PM 11/4/2008, you wrote:
<snippage>
>This isn't quite true.  Linux doesn't care a bit about spaces in
>filenames, and there are several ways to make sure they're not treated
>as whitespace.  One is to enclose the path in quotes.  The other is to
>escape the spaces with backslashes ( \ ).  Individual escapes are what
>you get when you use tab completion.  (Tab completion is incredibly
>useful by the way, recent Ubuntu and other distributions have much
>better completion, which will give you context-sensitive options for
>many programs - just hit tab twice when typing a command to see what I mean)
>The following two file names are the same:
>/boot/my\ kernels/vmlinuz
>"/boot/my kernels/vmlinuz"

Steve, yes and no.  The OS doesn't care one way or the other, but the
user's shell sure does.  The shells sh, csh, tcsh, bash, ksh, zsh and
whatever other shells out there in the *nix world exist all handle
filenames/directory names with spaces differently.  The old sh shell
didn't handle them very well at all, but then again, it's just the
basic bourne shell.  We, as users, wanted our shell environment to be
able to do a lot more things, like job control, command line
completion, more complex scripting, and other things, and that's how
all those other shells came into existence.

>And of course when you're browsing with a GUI, you can drag/drop, right
>click, copy/paste ...

rassafrassin' Winders carry overs...  Command line rules!  So does vi...  ;-)

>- Steve

Mark