I'm not aware of a specific reason why this was deactivated in our
kernels, if it was included in the ubuntu stock kernels.

If you want to rebuild your own kernel with this enabled (it should make
a kernel compatible with the regular emc2 packages), I detailed how to
do it back in september:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.user/9172
with this correction to one of the commandlines I gave:
    http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.distributions.emc.user/9185
but now you should probably use the URLs

http://linuxcnc.org/hardy/dists/hardy/base/source/linux_2.6.24-16.30.linuxcnc.4.tar.gz

http://linuxcnc.org/hardy/dists/hardy/base/source/linux_2.6.24-16.30.linuxcnc.4.dsc
to get source matching the newest rtai-enabled kernel we've released.

Jeff