If I understand correctly, you had a "Breezy" (5.10) system that you
upgraded to "Dapper" (6.06).

As a rule, we recommend *against* using the "distribution upgrade" to go
from one version of Ubuntu to another.  This generally renders emc2
unusable, as you have discovered.

If you haven't yet erased the old installation that you upgraded, you
may be able to follow these instructions to rehabilitate it:
    http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Breezy_Upgrading

Upgrading from Dapper to Hardy (8.04) would be similar, but it would
also be necessary to retrieve the new repository signing key, by
executing these lines at the terminal:
    gpg --keyserver pgpkeys.mit.edu --recv-key 8F374FEF
    gpg -a --export 8F374FEF | sudo apt-key add -
(the second line will prompt you for your password, because it changes
system settings) and then use these paths in your sources.list:
    deb http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy hardy base emc2.2
    deb-src http://www.linuxcnc.org/hardy hardy base emc2.2

Upgrading from Hardy to Intrepid (8.10) won't work at all, because there
are no emc2 packages that are designed to install on Ibex.

If all you have at this point is your fresh install using the live cd
image from ubuntu.com, then your next step is to use the emc2-install.sh
process and install emc2.

Read this page, starting at step 2 of "If you prefer to start with the
distributed Ubuntu CD:"
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/content/view/21/4/lang,en/

Jeff