From: Jon Elson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] servo chatter at rest is going to drive me nuts...
To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
Date: Friday, December 5, 2008, 9:41 AM

Tom wrote:
> I have all 3 axes of the Kasuga converted to EMC2 control using 500 line
> encoders (2000ppr)on brush servos and Advanced Motion PWM amps.
> The ballscrews are 5mm pitch. I have the ini set for 10160 encoder counts
> per inch.
> While pid tuning I noticed that in order to get my ferror down to below
> .002" during the accel/decel ramps, I had to reduce the deadband.
This was
> after optimizing p,i,d,ff0,ff1,ff2. This causes the servos to continually
> hunt about +/- .0002"(two tenths)while at rest which makes a godawful
chatter.
> The symphony of clicks, moans, pops and chatter is going to drive me nuts
> eventually. Of course, I can always turn the machine off in Axis to stop
the
> noise - but I want to leave the machine on while fixturing, setting tool
&
> work offsets, etc.

Strange.  I have two servo-controlled mills here, and they both hunt at
times.  The one with velocity servo amps and DC tachs is usually very
quiet, with hunting a a several Hz rate which is not audible.  (Once in
a while one particular axis breaks into a 500 Hz while which is quite
annoying.  Touching the tach for a second damps it out.)  The other one
is a PWM driver controlled only by EMC, and it grumbles and clatters now
and then, but  usually settles after a couple second.

I have found setting the D term is quite tricky, and too much D causes a
lot of oscillation.
I usually have stationary following error of about .0002" on the
velocity servo machine, and .00005" on the PWM one.  The velocity servo
machine has encoder resolution of 20000 counts/inch, the PWM machine is
128,000 counts/inch.  If you see an association between following error
and encoder resolution, you are right.  I think with proper amounts of
FF2 (it takes VERY little) you can get the error down during the
accel/decel, and maybe turn down P to reduce the noise.

The problem is that the encoder is doubly quantized, introducing a LOT
of noise into the PID loop.  First, position is quantized by the encoder
counts themselves, then it is quantized again by the servo loop sampling
it.  So, the D term, the difference between following error last cycle
and this cycle, has a tremendous amount of noise at 1/2 the sampling
rate.  So, it is best to use as little D as possible, to turn this noise
down as low as you can.

Jon