Len Shelton wrote:

>I followed that tutorial exactly. In fact, the way I got it to work was to
>swap out the hal_input line with the hal_joystick line from:
>http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?HereIsHowToCheck
>
>...and to rename the hal pins appropriately.
>
>Hal joystick works fine, but hal_input does not.

Could you either tell us exactly what you used to try to load hal_input,
or post a log of what you did (in a terminal I presume) on
http://pastebin.ca ?

>I put EMC into debug mode
>to watch what was happening, and it could not find the device by parsing the
>lines that hal_input is supposed to be parsing.

Uh, what exactly do you mean by "put EMC into debug mode"?  There are
several debugging facilities, so it's hard to tell which one(s) you mean :)

Also, what version of EMC2, and what version of Ubuntu do you have?

You should do testing with a halcmd prompt and maybe a short test.hal
file (you can easily use halrun to start up the realtime system and take
it down when you're done, just use "halrun -I " or "halrun -I
yourtestfile.hal")

You can use the program "script" to log what you do at the command line
and the output from any programs you run.  "script filename" will save a
log of everything you do to "filename" until you type "exit".

- Steve