On Wed, Dec 10, 2008 at 10:28 PM, Jon Elson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ftec wrote:
>> Hello folks,
>>
>> Testing if I'm on the list now but I also have a question.
>>
>> Was looking for 4 to 5 axis cnc sw for a home built cnc machine and found
>> this list making me very interested.
>>
>> What I would like to know is if there is a way to combine emc and cad designs
>> done  with win based cad sw. If so, how?  I can export part files in IGES,
>> STL,
>> STEP, Catia, ProE and a few other formats. I have never used Linux but then
>> there always must be the first time, right?

   You should look for a Gcode generator program (ie. Mastercam, Smartcam, etc).
   You can find some Linux Gcode generator programs.
   Most are windows based.
   Does your CAD software have a manufacturing package? I would
explore that first.
   You will use the output of the Gcode generator program in EMC2.

> Linux really isn't the issue.  EMC takes G-code (technically RS274-D) a
> language for motion control used by most machine tools.
> I think IGES is a graphical exchange format for exchanging printed
> documents electronically.  STL is a system for describing a volume, good
> for rapid prototyping with a variety of systems that usually make
> plastic models layer by layer.  Catia and ProE are specific CAD drawing
> programs, not a language for interchanging mchining info.  They and many
> others have a facility to output G-code at varying levels of sophistication.
>
> Jon

   IGES (IGS) is a standard for geometry exchange. It is widely used
for export and import of 2D and 3D graphics definitions.
   STEP is another standard used for geometry exchange. STEP is newer than IGES.
   There is data loss and/or corruption in any and all data converters
but most will allow the manufacture of good parts.
   Data for use in EMC2 (or other control) can be derived from IGES
data. The data must be converted into a form usable by the Gcode
generator program (of your choice). The IGES data is imported into the
Gcode generator program through the IGES converter (usually supplied
by the authors of the Gcode generator program). Then the NC programmer
can use the Gcode generator program to output a program usable by EMC2
(or other control).
   There are many Gcode generator programs including some attempts to
go direct from IGES/STEP to Gcode.
   The path is ever changing and evolving.
Have fun
Stuart