A bunch of us, including Matt, John K, Peter and Seb worked further on
troubleshooting this on irc earlier.

This bug specifically affects hostmot2 systems where the step rate is
above 60% or so of the maximum step rate given the user specified step
length and space.

Peter has now identified a bug in the FPGA firmware, and plans to have a
fix soon.  When this happens, we'll be able to provide instructions and
a download link to get an updated firmware if you've been affected by
the issue.  (and in 2.2.9, but I simply don't see that happening until
January)

There's a workaround.  In Peter's words from the irc chat:
    For the time being a workaround is to set StepSpace to 0 and limit
    maximum velocity in software (to 90% or so of hardware limit)

If you're interested in boring technical details, and also some
discussion about developers' pets and other miscellaneous noise, you can
take a look at the whole irc log:
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/irc/irc.freenode.net:6667/emcdevel/2008-12-16.txt

        starting at 21:13 GMT
    http://www.linuxcnc.org/irc/irc.freenode.net:6667/emcdevel/2008-12-17.txt