Gentle persons:

I know I should poll CNCZONE instead, but this is a much more friendly
crowd and the rate of useful information exchange is much higher.

I recently got a Tower Hobbies catalog to look for an RC gift to my son
and/or his son. I stumbled across the brushless motors section and
thought I was in nirvana. The current discussion about the use of these
motors as spindle drives has brought me sharply back to reality.

I am a hobbyist who's still wallowing in the world of the Dremel/Proxxon
class of rotary tools while I get comfortable with the CNC aspects of
machining but I'm always on the lookout for suitable spindles and motors
to plan on moving up to. Do reliable, low-cost solutions exist?

I assume that Gene's response to Jon about a Rockwell/Precise
spindle---"Something us hobby types would gravitate to because of the
cost. :) "---was said in jest.

Regards,
Kent