John Pfleger wrote:
> Long time reader, first time poster.

Welcome!

> I have been running a 3 axis desktop mill using Animatics Smart Motors
> (emulating stepper motors) for 12 months now. But as the smart motors are
> only emulating steppers, I have been thinking about converting them to
> operate as servo motors. They have inbuilt rotary encoders that can be
> connected to the out pins and velocity/direction can be supplied to an input
> as a 5V analogue signal.
> My current plan is use a Mesa 7I43-U-4 to read the encoders and supply the
> PWM signals (convert the PWM into analogue signal). Is this a
> feasible/sensible way to go?
>
> I must admit that I am struggling to understand exactly how to configure EMC2
> to achieve this. Am I correct in assuming that the PID will output a
> velocity/direction signal to the motor until the encoder counts = the new
> positional counts. Also, the velocity will decrease as it gets closer to the
> desired position?

Hi there, what you propose sounds perfectly reasonable.

The hm2-servo sample config included with emc2 controls a 3-axis servo
machine using a 7i43 board, that would be a good place for you to start.

I dont know if the raw PWM signal from the 7i43 will provide a
sufficiently clean "analog" signal to the motor amps, you may need a DAC
board like the Mesa 7i33 or similar to produce a really smooth control
voltage.

> This email (including any files) transmitted with it is confidential and
> should be read only by those persons or entities to whom it is addressed. If
> you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any use,
> dissemination, distribution or copying of this message or data is prohibited.
>
> If you have received this message in error, please notify us immediately by
> way of reply. Please also destroy and delete the message from your computer.
> Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message is strictly prohibited
> and all attached information and data remains the property of Daniels.
>
> It is the duty of the recipient to virus-scan and otherwise test the
> information provided before loading onto any computer system.
>
> Daniels and any member of the Daniels group does not warrant that the
> information is free of a virus or any other defect or error.

> except where the sender specifically states them to be the views of Daniels.

This email list is archived in a couple of public places, you may want
to rethink your "terms of use" for posts to public mailing lists.

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky
Dualism? Sure. Brain and Mind are different. "Brain" is a noun. "Mind"