and a voice spoke out from the one lurking in the shadows.

I may be just blowing smoke here - but there might be a functional
compromise.

I honestly have not been under the hood of EMC (interp or trajectory
planner) so I don't know if what I'm proposing is even possible with
the existing code structure.

A steppers weakest point is at its peak velocity, or maybe depending on
the accell settings the beginning of decell/breaking from peak vel. So
basically Rapid G00 moves are the Achilles heal.

I am not proposing using an encoder for coordinated movement feedback
like a servo would require, that would still be handled by counting the
stepgen output. What I propose would be having an aux input for the
encoders and a separate DRO display on the GUI like XA/YA/ZA. With the
proper ini file setting an "in position check" could be done (with a
acceptable tolerance factor) after each G00 or fixed cycle position
move. If an out of tolerance position is detected an alarm could occur
(the easy way) or a correction move could be applied (much more
difficult). Normally if a G00 is issued the tool is free of the work so
applying a correction should be as safe, if the tool failed to clear
the work, then the damage was all ready done.

I'm guessing this would be very resource intensive. So a alternative
might be to use a non-modal user defined M or G code to compare and/or
reset position. This option would be handy for people using Step/dir
servo drives where they are unable to adjust the in-drive following
error such as Gecko 320/340 drives. Geckos allow 128 count error before
tripping a servo fault.

This won't help a machine fighting mid-band resonance, or one
overloaded in a cut. That is a hardware/software issue where the
builder needs to know the weakness and limits of the machine. However
these comparisons if logged could help the builder tweak accel & max
vel settings to an acceptable range that will run error free 95+% of
the time.

I could see how a machine which ran great all summer start losing steps
in a cold garage in January, Vactra #2 (Way oil) can get like honey due
to age and very cold temps.

Greg Bentzinger