Have a look at cnczone.com, there are numerous of home made machines in
large size.
You need the big the garage, that's for sure. To cut building costs you can
choose to not use ballscrews, linear guides exist in different rigid types
and there are also a bunch of proven home made designs. But my most
important suggestion is: design before you build! You'll cut the number of
mistakes when you model it.

Regards,
Sven