On Sat, 2009-04-11 at 13:00 -0400, Doug Pollard wrote:
... snip
>     Is there any reason why Emc will not run my xylotex board.

EMC2 should work well. Do a search for Xylotex on the EMC2 wiki:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?EmcKnowledgeBase

this should link you to the resources you need to get started.

> I would
> also like to know what kind of breakout board might be suitable.

It looks like you don't need one, just a DB25 cable.

>   Have
> been looking at some 269 OZ in motors but also thinking that my mill has
> a pretty sturdy spindle that maybe 425 0z in. might make better use of
> that.  Since the table is only 18 inch long with 12in. of travel high
> speed might not be that important. I am assuming the more powerful
> motors may be slower??
>     Any other suggestions here would be greatly  appreciated.
>
>                                                                      Doug

With my DC motor research so far, it seems the 269 oz.*in. motors should
do fine, but you should see what others are using on machines similar to
yours:
http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?Case_Studies

Kirk