On Sun, 2009-04-12 at 19:23 +0200, Lars Andersson wrote:
> The text on this site does not say "optically isolated" so probably this
> device isn't. It might be more like a digital buffer. The advantage of
> opto isolators is that they break the ground connection between PC and
> motor driver.
>
> >This >one looks interesting though:
> >http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260360862785

I agree, without knowing what chips are on the board and how they are
wired it's harder to recommend using it.

Just to fill out some of the issues. For connections between the
parallel port and peripheral electronics, a chip like this:
http://www.semicon.toshiba.co.jp/docs/datasheet/en/Opto/TLP627_TLP627-4_en_datasheet_071001.pdf

Short URL version: http://alturl.com/rt6c

On the bottom of page one, pins one and two of the device are connected
to an LED. For parallel port output, the output pin is (sometimes)
connected to a driver chip:
(just one example)
http://focus.ti.com/lit/ds/symlink/sn74ls241.pdf
or http://alturl.com/mudt

then to the LED. Whenever the pin goes high the LED turns on (or off if
wired that way). The tiny arrows between the LED and the transistor to
the right of the LED, indicate that the connection that controls the
transistor is through the light from the LED. There is no electrical
connection, so you can fry the transistor and the LED won't transmit any
voltage back to the parallel port. The transistor is used to pass the
signal to your driver, relay or other boards. For parallel port inputs,
the transistor is used to switch a voltage on the parallel port input
pin. There is some disagreement on how to interpret the amount of
voltage isolation you can get from these devices, but this one indicates
5000V.

Another variation of this is the SSR (solid state relay), which has a
driver on the transistor side so they can drive larger loads, such as
solenoids.
http://pewa.panasonic.com/pcsd/product/pmos/pdf_cat/aqv10_.pdf
or http://alturl.com/t3jp

http://www.crydom.com/en/Products/Catalog/d_o.pdf
or http://alturl.com/47zn

These isolators can be on a break-out board or on the peripheral's I/O
pins, or not used at all. You'll have to check the board's documentation
or look on the board for chips that look like optocouplers.

One down side is, everything you put between the output and an input
will delay or change the original signal a little bit. Usually this is
not a problem.

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html