Sebastian,

> Another brave hm2 testing volunteer!  Welcome!
Yep, slow system, problems with parport and not enough I/O made me buy
two 5i20 cards (and a 7i43) card. One 5i20 for the main system, one as a
backup/second system at home and the 7i43 to play around with and try
some FPGA programming.

I set up a 'new' system with EMC2 (Ubuntu 8.0.4 LTS release) from the
live CD, updated this to 2.3.0~beta2 and started to play around with it.
Both with my existing parport and with the new hm2 config.
In my situation (milling a curved surface with a radius around 30 cm in
all 1mm long line pieces) the hm2 config is 10% faster than the parport one.

> One problem with the configs you linked below is that
> [TRAJ]MAX_LINEAR_VELOCITY is greater than [AXIS_?]MAX_VELOCITY.  That
> means the hm2 stepgen will fall behind where the trajectory planner
> wants it to be, leading to following errors if it gets too bad.

This did the trick. I changed/added the [TRAJ] parameters and now even
tort.ngc works almost perfectly!
Almost ... the first time I start EMC it still gives a joint following
error on axis 0 but if I quit and restart it's OK.
There is still a lot to do in cleaning up the configs and making sure
that all my other I/O gets in there but this is a promising start.
> The humming and dithering across the setpoint is a known bug in
> 2.3.0~beta2, it's been fixed in CVS and will be in the next release.

I could not resist; 30 to 45 minutes of downloading and compiling and I
have the trunk running. Humming and dithering is fixed.
Still works almost perfect.
One very small thing is that the splash screen reports 2.4.0~pre and the
title bar of axis 2.3.0~beta1 but I think I can live with that ;-)

Thanks,

    Rob