Just a quick followup on my query about using a single index pulse for
threading. I got it set up on my lathe with a magnet and a hall sensor.
It reads the speed pretty accurately though there is a bit of jitter at
higher speeds (500rpm upwards).

On a few test threads the root of the thread comes out slightly wide if
I use lots of spring passes but apart from that it is pretty good,
certainly a hell of a lot better than I ever got out of Mach. I was
sometimes getting an unexpected realtime delay so I increased
BASE_PERIOD a bit. The threads then came out better though there was
still a small amount of variation between each pass. Overall I am pretty
happy though I will be using an encoder on my next machine.

Les