From: Sebastian Kuzminsky [mailto:s...@highlab.com]
Sent: Tuesday, May 26, 2009 9:27 PM
To: Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)
Subject: Re: [Emc-users] Mesa 5i20 and hm2

noel wrote:
> What do you mean by 'hm2-servo configuration'??

"hm2-servo" is one of the sample configs shipped with emc2.  If you
installed one of the 2.3 debs it's in /usr/share/doc/emc2/examples, if you
checked out the CVS it's in configs/.

> Is this different from a 'stepper' configuration?

Yes, the sample configurations in hm2-servo/ use servo motors, as opposed to
the configs in the adjacent hm2-stepper/ directory, which use stepper
motors.

> Why and how would index homing work in one and not the other??

Index homing is a feature of the rotary encoder mounted to the motor shaft
of a servo motor.  A servo is not a servo without an encoder.  The encoder
provides position feedback to the servo controller.

Stepper motors do not (in general) have encoders; the discrete motion of the
motor itself acts as the position transducer.

Some configurations use non-rotary encoders, and some use encoders in
conjunction with stepper motors.  While these kinds of system csertainly
should be doable, I've personally never done it, and neither of the two
hostmot2 sample configs is set up to deal with it "out of the box".

--
Sebastian Kuzminsky
"Like most small parts, they are concrete-soluble: you drop them once,