I have had a rather frustrating evening in my workshop, and I am not
sure if it is me at fault or EMC.

I am trying to use tool offsets, in a lathe, in diameter mode, in metric.

I am having a lot of trouble with EMC refusing to move to positions on
the basis that the axis limits will be exceeded. In all cases this is
not so, as it will happily jog to the commanded positions in manual
mode. I am not sure what is causing this but G49 seems to cure it.

I noticed that G43, in the onscreen graphical display in Axis moves
the axis origin, moves the tool tip, moves the envelope, but leaves
the program path stationary.

I have done some testing and I was surprised to find that G43 (or
touch-off into the tool table) changes the machine coordinates as well
as the relative coordinates. I can see that this might be useful to
keep the tool tip inside the envelope, but is it correct behaviour?
If so, then you wouldn't expect to be able to jog outside the envelope
either, would you?

It is certainly very frustrating to be told that you will exceed your
limits when you are actually inches inside them. Am I misunderstanding
how the tool table works, how axis works or is there in fact a bug of
some sort in EMC2? (I doubt the latter, surely it would have been
noticed by now?)

--
atp