On Fri, 2009-06-05 at 20:14 +0100, Andy Pugh wrote:
> I have had a rather frustrating evening in my workshop, and I am not
> sure if it is me at fault or EMC.
... snip
> how the tool table works, how axis works or is there in fact a bug of
> some sort in EMC2? (I doubt the latter, surely it would have been
> noticed by now?)
>
> --
> atp

How do you set your home when you first start EMC? I haven't played with
it much, but I believe the soft limits are based on the home position,
so you need a consistent home location to base the limits on. For my
mill (very basic stepper), I have marks on the base and slide that I jog
to match up. This gets me within .2" of home, then I move the axis until
the dial is zeroed. I never change the dial, so this gets my axes to
within .0005" of home. Then I set invoke home in EMC2. My lathe has
encoders with an index, so when I invoke "home" the axes scan for the
index and set the home position. You will need to enter limit settings
in your .ini file based on your established home position. Please post
your results if this helps (,or not), so I'll know if I'm full of it
(,or not).
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html