> Ooohh look! -  somebody with experience who's actually been there and
> done it too <G>
Hahahaha

> I've give up arguing with pedantic theorists, they always know better,
> I'll just get back to doing it too at about +/-0.001 ;)

Wow Steve... that's impressive.

We thought about a way to get rid of that last flex and thought about
some mechanism which measures the tension dynamically and tweaks an
idler pulley accordingly.
I rigged a basic setup up once and it worked well for slow changes.
Fast changes caused interesting effects... the belt started to feed
back with different frequencies depending on the position of the
gantry and the rigid pid didn't like that at all. I would describe my
results best as 'mechanical agony'. I removed the fit throwing
mechanism and the system's happy again lol. I am sure it can be done
but a fuzzy logic has to learn the behavior. Maybe a sophisticated
Japanese rice cooker can be retrained HA.

Till then we continue to earn money with our contraptions.

And yes, once in a while one has to build IT to verify a result. The
belt formula clearly states the stretch. And that's going to happen.
But... what happens when you start from that stretch 8))).

Happy belting!
Rainer PhD in belt torture