On Sat, 2009-06-13 at 14:51 +0200, Peter blodow wrote:
... snip
> One more technical aspect of the problem wasn't mentioned so far: giving a
> measure in meters, cm or mm etc. also tells something about the tolerances
> involved. For instance, 1.2 m means: more than 1.1 m, but not over 1.3 m, a
> tolerance good for making log wood for the chimney. 1247 mm means between
> 1246 and 1248 mm etc. How is that with 2 17/32 inch?
... snip

To me, in the context of describing feature dimensions, 2.1 is exactly
the same as 2.10000000000000000... because 2.1 is a numerical value and
unless noted on the drawing, the number of decimal places has no
meaning. I think this notion that the number of decimal places is a
standard is not correct, otherwise it would not need to be noted on the
drawing. It really should be avoided, so the myth doesn't get
perpetuated.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html