Gene,

We built a rotary phase converter from a salvage 10hp 3 phase motor and a few
bits. If you
have a motor repair shop nearby sometimes they have used motors with damaged
shafts
and the like that you can pick up for $25 - $75.... I missed part of the chat
on this but if it is
3hp or less I would use an Automation Direct GS-2 VFD to convert my single
phase to 3
phase. I have one on my mill and it is a lot quieter than an old rotary phase
converter.

If you decide to go with the DIY rotary I can share with you everything we did
to make a self
starting rotary phase converter.

John