Hi,

Steve Stallings wrote:
> There are motor drivers that have internal logic to
> automatically reduce the drive current while idle.
> These will weakly hold position and run much cooler
> when at rest. They can resume full power instantly when
> a step pulse arrives. Of course, this is a feature
> that the driver either has or doesn't have, no
> signal from EMC can produce this result if the
> driver does not support it.

right.

I realized something like that in my driver (.comp module) by loading a
counter every time the stepper is clocked.  When the stepper is not
clocked in a cycle, i decrement the counter, and when the counter
becomes zero, i reduce the current of the electronics.  When a new
stepper-clock arrives, full power is re-enabled.

It works very smooth.

This requires of course that you have a (electronic) signal to reduce
the current, and that the electronics can increase the current to full
power in a fraction of the time of one step.

When the current is about one third of the normal current, the stepper
holds very well its steady position.

Luc