On Mon, Jul 20, 2009 at 2:05 AM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> Rondal Nannie wrote:
> > Gene  I went in and changed it so that it would boot the cd first. It
> started to load the cd and about 3/4 into it ,it failed to load. This
> happened several times.Thanks for the reply  Ron
> >
> You must have 256 MB of memory.  For some reason, a vew machines seem to
> need a little more.  Also, you need somewhere around 3-4 GB of hard
> drive.  If either is in too short supply, the install will grind to a
> halt, often without any error message.  There are a few graphics cards
> that are not compatible, and also you need about 4 MB of memory on the
> graphics card.  It will get to a certain place in the install and croak
> when it tries to configure the graphics.
>
> There is an Ubuntu hardware compatibility list that you can check to
> make sure your graphics is on the good list.
>
> Jon

You can also install just a regular Ubuntu Live CD without EMC - go to the
Ubuntu Site.  I originally succeeded that way.  Once you have Ubuntu
working, then follow the instructions on Linuxcnc.org on how to download EMC
to a system with Ubuntu already installed.

Others have found this path while not as easy results in fewer hardware
issues.

Brian