On Sunday 30 August 2009, Rondal Nannie wrote:
>Gene
>        I think you may be right about that. I thought that I went into a
> file that was downloaded with emc . I will try to get the computer on line
> and try your way. The computer is not connected to the internet right now
> because it was a older computer and I was only going to use it to run the
> lathe. I downloaded emc off of a cd. Thanks Ron

How fast is this computer, Rondal?  I started out with an old K6-ii running
at 400 mhz, which wasn't quite fast enough to let emc strut its stuff, this
about emc2.0 time or in that range.

Then my main box lost a video card, a )*(*&%@ nvidia, which crowbared the
data bus on the mobo, so that free'd up a 1400mhz athlon &  half a gig of
dram.  So I bought a Mach Speed mobo that would take that old athlon & dram,
and moved emc to that machine.  Due to the way clock multipliers worked on
the Mach Speed board, that athlon that was running at boil your tea temps on
the biostar board that died, is now running 70F cooler, at 1600mhz.  That
tells me that biostar board had timing problems galore.

That is fast enough that I can run almost 40 IPM and the motors are all
tapped out because I can only goto about 28 volts with my xylotex drivers.
For dependability, I have the MAXVEL's set for about 20 IPM, and it just
works.

With a network connection, you can update that version of emc on the cd with
emc up to 2.8, but not to 3.0+.  I haven't made that jump to 3.0+ yet as 2.8
is running nicely for the things I do, which might be EDM one week, and
sharpening a carbide saw blade the next.  Hobby stuff, I'm an old fart,
retired for several years now.

The main box?  Now a 2.2ghz quad core phenom.

Let us know what happens please?

[big snip]

--
Cheers, Gene

<DarthVadr> Kira: JOIN THE DARK SIDE, YOUNG ONE.
<kira> darth, I *am* the dark side.