Are RFI filters for inverters generally incompatible with RCDs? I
fitted one to my machine today to try to get rid of the noise from the
VFD which seems to interfere with my encoders and limit switches,
however every time I power up the VFD the lights go out and the power
goes off.

The garage and shed are fed though a 30mA RCD (a requirement for power
to a shed AFAIK) and that seems to take offence to the Filter. The
filter is marked "nominal leakage curent 20mA" which might be a clue.

--
atp