On Tue, 13 Oct 2009, Dave wrote:

> Date: Tue, 13 Oct 2009 17:06:56 -0400
> From: Dave <e...@dc9.tzo.com>
> To: "Enhanced Machine Controller (EMC)" <emc-users@lists.sourceforge.net>
> Subject: [Emc-users] Mesa THC
>
> Hi Peter,
>
> I heard something about a Mesa THC board.  Can you fill us in on that?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dave

Yes, our THCAD, kind of done as a lark...

Its just a simple isolated (2500V) Voltage to Frequency converter (V-F) for
A-D use with either a hardware encoder counter (1 MHz full scale) or parallel
port counting (various divisions of the 1 MHz FS rate) as the readout.
Voltage is read as velocity. It has about 12 bits of resolution so better than
.1V resolution at 300V full scale. It does have a bipolar option for general
purpose use.

There are 2 assembly option models, one with a base range of 0 to 10V (for
external HV divider = RF start types or others with included dividers) and one
with a base range of 0 to 300 V for direct connection to press start torches.

10V model has 100K input impedance 300V has 3M input impedance. Due to the
nifty Analog Devices isolator+power chip, there is less than 2 pf between
analog and digital sides.

Since its only the isolated A-D part of the THC, EMC must handle all the
smarts (but thats the EMC way)

It has differential outputs for noise immunity (but outputs can be used single
ended if desired for parallel port counting etc)

John Thorton has a proto of this card and has done some work on a THC
component that uses it.

Heres a picture:

http://www.mesanet.com/graphics/analog/thcadcolo.png

Peter Wallace