2009/10/16 Peter Cauchy <nald...@gmail.com>:

> pins:
> opto-5v from usb
> pulse-parallel port
> dir-parallel port with or without 7406 ic in circuit.

One possibility that occurs to me is that the USB ground might not be
the same as the parallel port ground. I can just about imagine them
being capacitively coupled enough for step pulses to work, but not the
effectively DC direction signal

Do you have USB ground, parallel port ground and 7406 ground all
explicitly connected?

To change direction you need enough current to flow through the
direction opto-coupler to light the internal LED. I was struggling
with grasping this point  myself last week. There needs to be a
current path from your USB +5 to your USB 0V through the 7406 and the
direction opto.coupler

--
atp