2009/10/28 Gene Heskett <gene.hesk...@gmail.com>:

> I need to take the saddle off
> again and see if I can actually make it set level and solid on the ways,

When I checked my (cheap, chinese) lathe I found that each part of the
saddle had been scraped-in to its bed way, but not so that they both
touched simultaneously.
It only took about an hour with blue and a scraper to get it sitting
down solidly on both bedways at the same time, and the improvement was
immense. (the brass tapered gibbs help a bit too). I can now
cheerfully part off 3.5" stainless, whereas previously I couldn't even
dream of parting 1" aluminium.

--
atp