On Sunday 15 November 2009, Leslie Newell wrote:
>Here is how I did it. I took a short piece of brass bar and drilled most
>of the way through with a drill slightly bigger than the smallest tube I
>could easily obtain. This creates the air jet. I then drilled the rest
>of the way with a drill the same size as the tube. Next I drilled
>diagonally in from the back to allow air to pass around the oil pipe to
>the air jet. The small tube is pushed right through and soldered  in
>place. It projects about 1mm past the end of the jet. The whole lot is
>then pressed into the plastic nozzle on one of those cheap loc-line
>hoses. A small plastic pipe runs from the small tube in the jet, down
>the loc-line and out of a made-up block at the bottom. It sounds more
>complicated than it is.

I must confess I had to think about this to get the right mental picture, but
now its clear, almost exactly the same as an air brush gun, where the liquid
comes out of the center.  So that center tube feeding in the oil is
surrounded by by the air exiting through the gap between the OD of that tube
and the drilled holes walls.  Neat, and looks to be fairly rugged too.  I'll
see what I can come up with.  The nearest tubing is probably the Hobby Stop
25 miles up the interstate in Bridgeport, he carries that whole line of
graduated size tubing in brass, alu and even plastic for the model makers.

Neat idea, thanks.

>I found the trick is to make sure the pipe down the middle projects past
>the end of the air nozzle. This way you get a stream of fine droplets in
>a cylinder of fast moving air. If the oil pipe is flush with the air
>outlet you get a fine mist that hangs in the air rather than going on
>the work.

Good to know that the atomization can be overdone.

>Note that I use a pressurized oil feed as this setup doesn't generate
>much vacuum. The pressurized oil is supplied with one of those cheap
>combined air regulator/filter and oiler units on eBay like item
>#250528218868. I took out the air filter bits and added a pipe fitting
>on the bottom of the water trap. The water trap now becomes the oil
>reservoir. The reservoir is only small but it lasts quite a long time as
>you only need a trace of oil.

That I can source at Lowes, and probably for no more that that one by the
time you pay ebays usually outrageous S&H. I also have a pair of those in the
tank electric fuel pumps, which also might serve as the flow regulator and
pump, triggering it with a spare relay on the spindle controller, spindle
running, get oil in the air.

>It pays to use oil designed for misters as it is less toxic than the
>usual cutting oils. The stuff I use is vegetable oil based and a gallon
>was damn expensive. However it will last many years.

I'll also check that when I am out of the quart of cutting oil I am using
now.

Thanks Les,  appreciate the help.

--
Cheers, Gene

In defeat, unbeatable; in victory, unbearable.
                -- W. Churchill, on General Montgomery