I find this all very difficult.

I have no latency test under the CNC menu. I looked up the test in
Google and found a description for loading it with a sequence of SUDO
commands
(http://wiki.linuxcnc.org/cgi-bin/emcinfo.pl?TroubleShooting).

But now when I type SUDO on my machine it says it can't resolve the
user. So I decided to just reinstall Ubuntu and EMC and it gets to
the partitioning and wants to leave the old Ubuntu partition in
place. I'm willing to give up the space but the partitioning fails. I
tried to use manual partitioning but I don't know what I'm doing and
it says no root file system is defined. I don't know what this means.
There's a Windows partition on the lower half of this drive.

--

Bryan Mumford