On Friday 20 November 2009, John Harris wrote:
>Hm. I don't think carbide bits were around in 58, so it looks like the
>foreman was not too far off.
>
>The fast oxidization of aluminum during cutting is an interesting effect.
>
>In the early 60s, we were making small electronic modules by soldering tiny
>Fairchild ICs to printed circuit cards, using locally made hot nitrogen
>soldering. There was a wall powered gadget that extracted nitrogen from the
>air, and a bell jar that held the nitrogen at 1/2 PSI. A plastic tube fed
>the nitrogen to something that looked like a normal soldering iron, except
>that the tip was a hypodermic needle with a blunt tip. The nitrogen came
> out of the needle tip hot enough to melt (reflow) the solder at the joint,
> but while doing so flooded the area around the joint with nitrogen to
> prevent oxidation.
>
>You do not need the heat but maybe a low flow of nitrogen to the cutting
>point may stop the oxidation long enough for the next cutting edge to get
>there. Anyone have any ideas on how the gadget running from wall power that
>made the nitrogen worked?
>
>John

No more chemistry than I've learned would tend to make me think there was a
chemical in there that absorbed the oxygen as the air passed by, probably was
either replenished by the night crew, or heated to reverse the process at
some point in the unmanned day.  Something along the lines of the dehydrators
we use for pressurizing transmission lines at broadcast facilities.  They run
the air thru silica gel to dry it, then reverse the valves & dump the air
being pulled in back to atmosphere and heat the tank of gel to drive the
water back out of it about once a day, or in the better ones, every x hours
of accumulated running time.  As for the chemical used to pull oxygen, I
wouldn't have a clue, but common sense says that is going to generate heat
just as a fire would.  All I know is that one isn't going to have an air
reduction (compress to liquid and controlled evaporization of the liquid
compressed air) system in a wall wart supply.  Possibly in a refrigerator
sized compressor I suppose as we presently have a portable oxygen generator
on site for the wife's use as she has COPD.  Given the pressures involved, I
wouldn't expect to ever see that reduced to a wall wart sized device so it
almost has to be chemical based.

Cheers, Gene

Emacs, n.:
        A slow-moving parody of a text editor.