FF1 adds a percentage of the commanded velocity to the output. Ideally
in a steady state FF1 should be high enough that P doesn't have to do
anything.
FF2 adds a percentage of the commanded acceleration to the output.
Ideally FF2 should be high enough that D doesn't do anything.
Basically they are creating a rough mathematical model of the motor and
machine so that emc can calculate the motor's needs in advance. If the
model was perfect you would not need any P or D but in practice you
still need them reasonably high.

Here is how I set them up. First set I to zero and set the following
error limit quite high (say 1" or more). Set P and D as low as possible
while not tripping the following error limit. Now do long moves at your
average feed rate and keep turning up FF1 until the following error
during steady state movement is as low as possible. If you go too high
the following error will start going up again. Next do a series of short
moves and keep turning FF2 up until the following error during
acceleration is as low as possible.

Once you have FF1 and FF2 set up, play with P and D to get rid of the
remaining errors. Test P and D over a range of feed rates and at rapid
rate. Finally tweak I to get the steady state error down. Afterwards you
may need to adjust I and D up a bit more. Expect to spend around 1 day
per axis to get it spot on.

> and also-  is deadband the window over and under 0 volts that yields no
> movement?  does this mean that you can kill steady-state oscillations by
> increasing deadband?

Only use deadband to stop I from continually tripping between two
encoder counts at idle. Normally 1/2 of one encoder count is enough
deadband. You cannot use deadband to stop oscillation. I would set this
to 0 until the axis is properly tuned.

> Also- if you guys dont mind- please gimme an Idea of what you have these
> variables set to and what kinda results they gave you.
How long is a piece of string? These values are VERY dependent on your
setup. There are no fixed values that you can use. On my lathe I can get
<0.001" following error at all times with rapid up to 4m/min or 160IPM.
At feed rate or stationary it is much lower.

Les