Basically, at no load, a servo amplifier has a characteristic
relationship between the voltage in and the velocity.  If the
relationship is (close to) linear, then FF1 will give an approximately
correct speed even before specifying P, I, D.

On an inch machine, if you set the OUTPUT_SCALE so that a PID output
(PWM/DAC input) of 1.0 makes the axis move at 1.0 inch/second, then the
correct value for FF1 is 1.  More generally, the value of FF1 should be
the PID output (PWM/DAC input) that gives a speed of 1.0 inch/second.

FF2 is "like" FF1 but for acceleration instead of velocity.  However, I
don't know of a simple rule of thumb for setting FF2.  Instead, I used
halscope to look at the error during G1 moves and tweaked it until the
errors in the accel/decel phase were minimized.  In the case of my own
system, the magnitude of FF2 is about 1% of FF1.

Jeff