> Brushless servos have a permanent magnet rotor.    The coils that make
> up the stator ( the stationary coils)  are up against the outside walls
> of the motor so any heat from the coils can be transferred out of the
> motor rather easily.    On a brush servo motor, the rotor has a wound
> rotor with a set of brushes and a commutator.  Permanent magnets are
> usually on the inside of the motor shell which surrounds the rotor.  Due
> to this arrangement it is usually harder to keep the rotor cool - so the
> motor has to be larger than an equivalent power rated brushless motor.
> Because the brushless motor has no brushes - which eventually wear out,
> a brushless servo motor is simpler and usually more reliable.
>
> Brushless motors can be very accurate.  Brushless motors are generally
> superior from a technology and performance standpoint.

Thanks for the info on how the brushless motors work.  I am going to read up
more on how they are controlled so see if I can understand them better.

> EMC2 can run either way - closing the servo loop on PC inside emc2, or
> letting the servo controller do it.
>
> Mesa cards (and other similar hardware) expose the servo encoder to
> emc2; emc2 does the PID calculation and computes a signed-magnitude
> motor control value; this gets fed to the motor amps.  This is nice
> because you get full insight into what the motor is doing, and you can
> easily tune the PID controller.  I dont know for sure, but I suspect
> that emc2's PID controller is better than most embedded solutions; it
> has first- and second-order feedforward etc.
>
> Gecko servo controllers (and other similar hardware) consume the servo
> encoder information; do their own PID calculation; and feed the motor
> the proper power.  In this case, emc2 communicates only "desired
> position" information to the controller, usually via step/dir signals.
> This is nice because it makes it very simple to get the motor up and
> running.

Between your information and a post I found on CNC zone at
http://www.cnczone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=91306  I think I got a
handle on how things are supposed to work together.

Is the mesa 7I43 card the recommended card for EMC out of the mesa products?