Jon Elson wrote:
> Flying Electron wrote:
>
>> I don't know much about servos at all, but I was under the impression
>> that brushless servos had less angular position accuracy then brushed dc
>> servos?  It looked like the brushless dc motors had more power for the
>> same size package and were a little cheaper, but I'm not sure what the
>> tradeoffs are.
>>

> Why would this be true?  The brushless motors are still controlled by a
> servo loop reading
> position by encoder.  The resolution of the encoder and the tuning of
> the servo loop are
> what matters.

The Pico system you make looks very nice and is something I will
consider.  I don't really have a full understanding of how the brushless
servos work, but I'm slowly learning.  So far I think I understand that
they are like stepper motors just with 3 steps instead of 200, which
allows them to spin at high rpms since there is more time for the
magnetic field to build in the coils since the coils only have to be
switched on and off 3 times per rev.  But if this is correct, wouldn't
stopping and holding the position of the motor somewhere between the
poles be like how microstepping works on stepper motors and it wouldn't
be that accurate?