On Tue, Jan 05, 2010 at 01:00:39PM -0500, Stephen Wille Padnos wrote:
> So yes, making changes so that extra information could be added as
> necessary would be great.

Within the existing plain text format, that would be nifty indeed.

> Making a format that humans can't read or write without software help
> (XML) isn't high on my priority list, but it's been discussed for this
> and other configuration settings, and may be the best solution in the
> end.

I'm not sure that it can reasonably be argued that export of data to
foreign formats is a core EMC2 function which needs to be built in.
Using a bunch of awk or perl for this allows individual need to be
satisfied, while groups might standardise on one or more of the
converters.

Stepping back from the secondary question of form, to consider the more
fundamental question of function, I wonder what additional data is
desired in the tool table?

ISTR recent mention of tool wear. If that were added to a plain text
file, either as an additional column, or a wear=0.xxx tagged parameter,
then we could all use it, from the comfort of the favourite editor with
which we edit the other configuration files.

If we don't watch out, there is a risk that the only way to read or edit
our configuration files would be some GUI monstrosity! (Hopefully, I
exaggerate horribly. :-)

Erik

--
Do not do unto others as you would they should do unto you.
Their tastes may not be the same.