On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 02:59:13PM +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:

> If we don't watch out, there is a risk that the only way to read or edit
> our configuration files would be some GUI monstrosity! (Hopefully, I
> exaggerate horribly. :-)

I sure sympathize with this worry.  XML is very hostile to someone
with a text editor.

In the tlo_all_axes branch Michael G is working on changes that let
you have arbitrary tool offsets instead of the current choices of only
Z, X/Z, W.  Part of this is choosing a new tool table format, and he
chose to use something gcode-like (a letter followed by a number for
each piece of information).  I think this is a wise approach.  It is
easy for both programs and humans to deal with, and it is familiar and
immediately understandable to all our users.

Here is what the new tool table format looks like:

http://git.linuxcnc.org/gitweb?p=emc2.git;a=blob;f=configs/sim/sim.tbl;hb=tlo_all_axes

You can see tool number, pocket, diameter, Z offset, comment.
A lathe would have some more words for each tool.  A two-turret
lathe might have some tools with Z and some with W, etc etc.

This removes a lot of the mess we currently have where every feature
change that touches the tool table has to either keep the number and
order of columns the same, or break everyone's tool tables.

For wear offsets I'm not sure what we'd want.  One idea that comes
to mind is to have a second tool table for those.  It could have
tool numbers and offsets but not pocket numbers or orientations.