On Wed, Jan 06, 2010 at 10:58:14PM +1100, Erik Christiansen wrote:
> My problem is that after the clone, the "git branch" shows _no_
> branches, just "master". i.e. the trunk. What I'm grubbing about in
> search of is those sneaky branches.

Rather than attempting to document all of git on our website (git has
about 250000 words of documentation included, not to mention several books
and innumerable tutorials and guides just a google away), we hope that
people using git will refer to those fine resources.

Your question is very well answered by the git user manual (probably better
than I could have answered it):
    Examining branches from a remote repository

    The "master" branch that was created at the time you cloned is a copy of
    the HEAD in the repository that you cloned from. That repository may also
    have had other branches, though, and your local repository keeps branches
    which track each of those remote branches, which you can view using the
    "-r" option to git-branch(1):

    $ git branch -r
      origin/HEAD
      origin/html
      origin/maint
      origin/man
      origin/master
      origin/next
      origin/pu
      origin/todo

    You cannot check out these remote-tracking branches, but you can examine
    them on a branch of your own, just as you would a tag:

    $ git checkout -b my-todo-copy origin/todo

    Note that the name "origin" is just the name that git uses by default to
    refer to the repository that you cloned from.

http://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/user-manual.html#examining-remote-branches

Jeff