On Mar 21, 2010, at 8:41 PM, Mike Payson wrote:

> Ries,
>
> Thanks for the recommendation. At $5k, Pro-E is pretty spendy for my
> needs, but it looks like they do offer a non-commercial version for
> $250. Might be worth considering.
>
> http://store.ptc.com/DRHM/servlet/ControllerServlet?Action=DisplayProductDetailsPage&SiteID=ptc&Locale=en_US&Env=BASE&productID=107381300
>
> Mike

Mike,

PRO is indeed a bit pricy, bit not more proxy then let's say SW.
If it's part of your daily job making parts that look the same. They
can be build using the same PRO model.
PRO will generate new g-code files without you as a user muddling with
creating the tool paths,
assigning the correct bits and what not, it's almost on the press of a
button...

PRO-E can be a pain in the ass sometimes, but so far as a hobbiest I
have reasonable good experiences with it.

Ries

> On Sun, Mar 21, 2010 at 5:32 PM, Ries van Twisk <e...@rvt.dds.nl>
> wrote:
>>
>> On Mar 21, 2010, at 7:17 PM, Mike Payson wrote:
>>
>>> None of these are Open Source, and non work natively with Linux, but
>>> since those requirements weren't mentioned in your question, only in
>>> the notes you linked to, I'll ignore them in my response. :-)
>>>
>>> Nobody seems to have mentioned CamBam. It has a bit of a learning
>>> curve, but it has a ton of power for it's price.
>>> http://www.cambam.info/
>>>
>>> At work we use Visual Mill. It's very easy to use if you are coming
>>> from a solid model, so it works great with Alibre CAD (which is only
>>> $197) or another solid modeler (Rhino, Solidworks, Pro-E). You can
>>> also work from DXFs with it, but it loses many of it's benefits if
>>> you
>>> do. Visual Mill starts at $1k, but it does have a pretty good