In my experience with steppers that are running on the edge
(mechanically or electrically), they almost never lose steps the same
amount in both directions.

Best thing I can think of doing is to put a 1" dial indicator on the
questionable axis,  write a test program or better yet, patch an
existing one, so the axis deflects the indicator and pauses there,  then
goes away from the indicator and runs a lengthy program away from the
indicator then have it come back and touch the indicator at the end of
the run.  If you do that right, you can loop the program and let it run
for a while, if anything is out of wack, that will show up as a changing
indicator position.

You can work the home thing out also, but the dial indicator thing is is
a lot more flexible IMO and works on almost all machines..

If your machine is way out of wack, be careful how you mount your
indicator so it doesn't get wiped out if the machine is erractic.

Dave