On 4/9/2010 12:04 PM, Jon Elson wrote:
> The problem with the homing report is the destruction of data.  When the
> home position is found, the machine position count is set to zero (or
> whatever the HOME_OFFSET value is).  So, the old home position is
> destroyed by that operation.  To stay with the canonical encoder
> definition as it is, you would have to store the position JUST before
> the home operation completed.  I think you could make a custom HAL
> component that recorded the machine position every servo cycle.
> Whenever it saw ENCODER_INDEX transition from true to false, it would
> save the value recorded from the previous cycle.  This would be the
> position one millisecond (at the default SERVO_THREAD rate) before the
> home position was found.  I think this would give you a pretty
> consistent way of checking for drift of the home position.  On the first
> home whe EMC is started, it would show the distance traveled from where
> the machine was to the home position.  On later homing operations, the
> value should be very close to zero, assuming the approach to the home
> switch is slow.  (Maybe watching ENCODER_INDEX only works where the
> index pulse is being used, how does the position count get set for
> stepgen, for instance?  I'm only familiar with servo-like interfaces.....)
>
> I think this will work if there's a signal that tells you the home
> operation is happening NOW, and doesn't require any change to EMC2
> itself.  You would monitor this with HalMeter or the show hal signals menu.
>
> Jon

Hi Jon,

Slavko is running steppers so I believe he has a base thread running
also which should be plenty fast enough to catch the step count just
before hitting the home switch.   :-)
And if not, then I would think that a base thread could be added to
increase the accuracy.

Just has to be worked out.

Dave