You can lock a user out of everything pretty easy with IceWM and its
easy text files for menus.
Just make sure there is no shell  the user can start and make sure
user can't login from the console either to edit the IceWM config.
I used to use it in a computer lab to give the users very limited
choices, the complaint about not being to install anything was there,
in long run it just worked.

the startup file should let you call emc without the &, so the startup
file would sit there and not get processed any further.
Then when you close emc it processes the rest, so following emc in the
startup with a shutdown -h now should work.
All other things you would background with a & at the end of the line,
except for emc. (i did not have this startup requirement in the
computer lab)

This has worked for me in the past.
IceWM has the benefit of not needing all of KDE, it's light weight too.

Not running a window manager could be tricky if you manage to drag a
window behind another and can't get to it anymore.
while disabling things and still having access to open windows from
pop up or alt-tab seems beneficial.

Eric gave a good idea there though, google for "IceWM Kiosk" on some
ideas in that "thinner" direction.
perhaps you can adapt the icewm/firefox kiosk example, it talks about
LTSP, which is what i ran in the computer lab, just never needed kiosk
mode.

Hope this helps.