IIRC, a program 'devilspie' was mentioned on this list a few years back.

I've used devilspie to make the emc2-ubuntu-livecd installation work
almost like a kiosk.  The desktop automatically logs in, and starts EMC
in full screen on workspace 1.  This makes it so that I can switch to a
different workspace to edit code, etc.