On Sat, 2010-05-15 at 07:34 -0400, mtg7...@aol.com wrote:
>  I was thinking of tearing apart an old Fanuc arcmate sr with RJ control -
> -or whatever available bot i can get my hands on-
> and using the components to re-cnc the wells index 823 mill i have

If it were my mill, I would look for some 90 (or higher) Volt DC brushed
motors from a treadmill or similar. The robot motors will most likely
have proprietary output shafts and drive requirements, which would be
hard to deal with. A more generic motor would most likely have enough
plain shaft to mount a timing belt pulley. You can fit a US Digital
encoder disk and sensor to the motor shaft or preferably to the ball
screw for each axis. If you get the disk and sensor separately you can
save a bit of money by machining the rest of the assembly, and you can
get a custom fit.

Here is the test setup on my Bridgeport:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/bridgeport/00047-1a.jpg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/bridgeport/00046-1a.jpg
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/bridgeport/

The ball screws turned out to have a couple of thousandths of an inch
slop, so I need to find another set before I continue with this project.
I'll probably mount a small timing belt between the ball screw to an
encoder, similar to this:
http://www.wallacecompany.com/machine_shop/bridgeport/

I would keep the robot intact, run it with EMC2 as a work piece changer,
tool changer and beer server.
--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html