Michael Jones wrote:
> I'm currently having problems with a reinstall after switching some
> stuff around.
>
> I recently moved some hardware around in my shop.   I decided I didn't
> need that nice LCD monitor on the CNC machine so I switched out a
> decent CRT monitor (Higher resolution etc).  For some reason the
> system would no longer support any resolution higher than 800x600
> (even though it had run as 1024x768 on the LCD).

Modern monitors have a digital communication between video card and
monitor, so the computer can sense the capabilities of the monitor.
If the computer can't get that info, it may restrict the video modes to
those that couldn't possibly damage any monitor.  It could be just the
video cable doesn't have the necessary wires to pass that info, and a
different cable would fix it.  I have run into that problem myself.
> I tried installing compiling and installing NVIDIA video drivers which
> completely screwed things up..
>
> I figured that I would just re-install the whole system from the new
> 2.3 ISO (after backing up my configurations and such).   This was a
> bad move.   My favored gui is Axis and unlike the 2.2. iso, the 2.3
> iso did not install everything properly to run EMC with Axis on this
> system (OpenGL wouldn't work and I couldn't get it to support higher
> resolutions than 800x600).
>
> SO.. The saga continues.. I installed Ubuntu 8.04 distro, drivers
> etc.... got everything configured the way I wanted it.. (Including
> OpenGL) and then installed EMC 2.3.. as soon as the realtime kernel
> kicked in.. The NVIDIA drivers that support OpenGL would NOT work with
> the realtime Kernel, and NV would not support OpenGL (I'm not sure if
> this is normal or not).

Yeah, the Nvidia driver thing is a major hassle.  And, the drivers are
specific to a particular kernel, every time you change kernel, you have
to rebuild the driver for that kernel.

Jon