> > Very nice. Can you provide some details as to what kind of controllers,
> > drives, screws, etc... You are using?
>
> Sure thing.
>
> For the electronic part i use a simple self build 3-axis L297/L298
> stepper driver which is interfaced to the parallel port of the pc.
>
> In the mechanical part i'm using stepper motors which i bought used in
> the internet (no cheap printer motors). They drive the ball screw
> threads over a 1:2.5 transmission ratio. The ball screw threads have a
> flank lead of 4mm/turn. Only the z-axis has a transmission ratio of 1:5
> because of the weight it has to lift.
> I use linear ball bearing for all three axis. The whole frame is build
> of aluminium and zinc plated screws. As spindle motor i use a Kress 800
> FME with 3.125mm chuck.
> In my picture gallery you can see most of the parts i used to build the
> CNC and how i bui

Rainer,

Very nice.

Last winter, I built a "similar" machine. I had never worked around machine
tools and did not have access to a lathe or milling machine so, I built it
using only common hand tools and hardware store components. As one might
expect, the result was not very good.

The machine did work (sorta). However, it was not ne was not rigid enough.
When the tool moved into the workpiece, it would deflect and not cut
straight lines. Even though the end result was not what I was hoping for, it
was still a great learning exercise.

Now, I have access to a complete machine shop and am starting a second
machine. I am making all the components including the screws and slides.
Seeing you machine has given me a few ideas that I might use in my new
machine. I expect to get much better results this time.

I hope to use the new machine for simple engraving and the routing of
printed circuit boards. I'll let you know how things work out.

Thank for the information and keep us updated on your progress.

See ya, SteveRob