On 10 August 2010 07:53, Rudy du Preez <r...@asmsa.co.za> wrote:

> I wonder if it is possible with
> a touch probe installed to have a probe action programmed after each tool
> change in order to set the new tool length, without using the tool table and
> preset tool holders?

I think it should be possible using a G-code subroutine, no
requirement for source code, git etc.

There is already a way to set a safe tool retract position for
toolchange the go in the [EMCIO] section of the INI file:
TOOL_CHANGE_POSITION = 0.0000 0.0000 -3.0000
TOOL_HOLDER_CLEAR = 0.0000 0.0000 0.0000

You would then do a G53 move to above the touch-off plate, then a G38
probe in the Z direction, and then copy the G38 measured values into a
G43.1 line to apply a transient tool offset.
You might need to add the current coordinate system offsets into the
calculations (they can be read in from #54XX parameters)
With a touch-off plate with significant over-travel you can probably
probe at moderately high speed.

I will refrain from going in to any more detail in case there is a
reason that this won't work that I have overlooked.

--
atp