2010/8/19 Chris Radek <ch...@timeguy.com>:

> Yes, the problem is just what the error message says.  There is a move
> that makes a concave corner but the move cannot be reached (the tool
> cannot move alongside it as you request) without gouging into the
> profile of the part.  Here is a screenshot showing the situation.  I
> copied your code, added g21 and g42 commands, and put a 1.1mm tool in
> my tool table.  I jogged the tool near the corner so you can see the
> situtation.  The highlighted cyan line is from line 7 in my program.
> The error message points to line 8 in my program, which was your
> line24.  (Notice I used block delete to allow myself to view the
> unoffset path.)
>
> http://timeguy.com/cradek-files/emc/viesturs-error.png
>
> Also notice that if line 8 had gone in another direction (say upward),
> line 7 could have been reached just fine.  This is why line 7 isn't
> the error; it is the whole situation which causes the error and the
> situation is finalized when line 8 is reached.
>
> The harder question you ask is what you can do to correct it.  I don't
> know the answer to that except to say that you must generate gcode
> that does not have these unreachable moves if you need to use cutter
> compensation.

Ok, thank You for the explanation, I kind of realised that it is the
case that there is corner that cannot be completely reached, because
tool is too big.

The way I see the ideal solution - display the error message so that I
am warned about the situation, and continue with the code. Using Your
screenshot - the displayed tool position would be the point, where
tool should do the corner - stop and start moving downwards. That is
the desired behavior in current situation.
If I will have my CAM programm including the kerf size compensation in
the code, it would produce this exact behavior - reach the corner as
far as it can bu not moving over the next line (that would be the next
line downwards in the screenshot) and then moving on...
But I would like not to include compensation in the code so that I can
manually tweak it, if I need it and that is why I like the G41/G42
commands as they do all the job.

Is there a way to tell EMC that such a concaved corners are acceptable
and EMC should move on? I think that plasma and laser tables also
might be affected by this situation.

> I did not check your first program with the arc problem because you
> did not give enough surrounding lines for me to be sure that I would
> see the same problem.  As you can see above, the directions of
> surrounding moves are relevant when the path is compensated.  If you
> do a similar examination I think you will be able to see the problem.
> If not, post a screenshot or a complete (but minimal) program showing
> the problem and I will try to help.

Here is the whole G01/G02/G03 block with all the intro and outro
lines. The trickiest part is that error is created in place, where
tool has to move on the outer side of the turn (it has to do G02 move,
when G41 is active). Another trick is that the part is symmetrical,
but EMC does not like only one side, the other one is ok.

G64 P 0.05
G90
M6 T1
F300
G0 X+75.917 Y+107.778
G41
M3 S100
M8
G4 P1.5
G3 X+76.064 Y+110.967 I+0.074 J+1.594
G3 X+40.813 Y+96.146 I-2.052 J-44.453
G2 X+38.415 Y+96.146 I-1.199 J+1.920
G1 X+33.000 Y+99.029
G3 X+26.819 Y+97.579 I-2.209 J-4.486
G3 X+27.052 Y+35.097 I+47.193 J-31.065
G3 X+28.022 Y+34.583 I+1.074 J+0.853
G1 X+39.928 Y+34.583
G2 X+45.159 Y+32.636 I+0.000 J-8.000
G3 X+59.223 Y+24.543 I+28.844 J+33.863
G2 X+60.512 Y+22.807 I-0.713 J-1.877      <--- my EMC version does not
like this line. If I delete it, code is accepted
G1 X+60.512 Y+17.516
G1 X+62.013 Y+16.014
G1 X+85.989 Y+16.014
G1 X+87.512 Y+17.516