On Thu, 2010-08-26 at 15:06 -0700, Speaker To-Dirt wrote:
... snip
>    The machine tools used in mirror grinding are not encoded to twice
> the limit required on the glass as called for by Mr Nyquist. All the
> optical grinders I've worked with are close to run open loop along
> these lines. There is a model by which glass is removed.

The mirror-o-matic simply has a spindle that turns the mirror and an
eccentric driven X that sweeps the tool (disk on top of the mirror, face
to face). The Z floats and as mentioned before tends to grind a sphere.
The radius is "controlled" by adjusting the tool diameter relative to
the mirror. The higher tool size (~40% to 100% of mirror diameter), the
flatter the radius. Also the longer the X stroke the flatter the radius.
I haven't done any mirror grinding yet, but I understand the grit
sessions grind a very close spherical radius, then the polish sessions
polish the radius into a parabola by changing the tool size and X motion
to try to selectively change the optical radius at different mirror face
circles.

>From the comment above, it looks like UofA tries to model all of this up
front.

Adding EMC2 to the mirror-o-matic could allow one to try using more
complex X motion schemes, plus maintain grit and water so the machine
would need less attention.

>  Foccult testing and Hartmann testing give you the high and low points
> on a mirror. Strokes with a given grit are computed to remove the high
> surfaces, and then run on a machine that may only be encoded to 0.010
> inches/tick. You run the stroke, then run another optical test, then
> compute another stroke ..... You keep going until the error is within
> acceptable limits. Here's the machines I worked on.
>
> http://mirrorlab.as.arizona.edu/
>
> Andrew

To see UofA make a mirror, follow the left sidebar links here:
http://mirrorlab.as.arizona.edu/TECH.php

--
Kirk Wallace
http://www.wallacecompany.com/E45/index.html