Ok - I want to schedule the Wichita Fest for Friday 12 Nov 2010 thru
however long anyone wants to stay the next week. The shop is working 4 days
so we should have Friday, Saturday and Sunday to work on projects without
much interruption. We can stay during the next week and work around
everyone.
  Most of the shop thought it was a neat deal last time. I fielded a lot of
questions.
  There are a number of cheap (not 5 star) motels in close proximity.
  Come for the fun. Bring a project to program, wire and/or machine.
  Please let me know if you are coming so I can arrange room, electricity,
tables, etc.
thanks
Stuart

On Thu, Aug 26, 2010 at 8:21 PM, Jon Elson <el...@pico-systems.com> wrote:

> Dave wrote:
> > That is the right thing to do...  I took my kids to a launch years
> > ago.   It was an awesome experience to see the shuttle take off.
> >
> I worked at NASA Wallops Island (Eastern shore of Virginia) around 1972-73,
> and it was quite awesome.  I got to assist in the blockhouse during a
> launch
> of a satellite (Meteoroid Technology Satellite D) on a Scout D rocket
> (3-stage,
> solid fuel).  That was quite awesome.  I also got to see a lot of exotic
> stuff
> being launched.  I was about 1000 feet from an exametnet super-Loki
> datasonde, a 2-stage
> solid fuel rocket that reaches 100,000 feet in about 6 seconds.  It
> develops 120 G's
> at launch, and literally disappears while you are looking right at it!
> That is used for
> ionospheric research.  It coasts to 600,000 feet plus on inertia, then
> heads back down.
>
> I also saw the reference test of a DOE program to gauge the effects of
> missile nose cones (MIRV reentry vehicles) coming
> down through heavy ice in cloud tops.  The reference test was done in
> clear air, though.  It was just a bright orange dot
> that swept across the sky.  It went from launch to touchdown in the
> ocean in 19 seconds, covering 20 miles.
>
> I also got to ride in the little room just behind the center of a 60'
> dish used for data acquisition from
> satellites, etc.
>
> The place is all closed now with some kind of Navy research programs, so
> I couldn't give my kids a tour.
>
> Jon

dos centavos